Phil Foden, Julian Alvarez, and Bernardo Silva scored goals in the second half to help Manchester City overcome Everton 3-1 on Wednesday, sending them back into the Premier League’s top four.

Despite having only one victory in their previous six league games, Pep Guardiola’s FIFA World Club champions had fallen behind in the standings, they made a spectacular comeback to domestic competition.

With a close-range finish from Jack Harrison in the 29th minute, Everton took the lead against the run of play.

But 53 minutes in, Foden scored a beautiful low shot, and Alvarez scored a penalty kick following an Everton player’s handball call that resulted in a penalty kick.

Four minutes from time, Silva completed the points with a brilliant finish following an error made by Everton custodian Jordan Pickford.

With 37 points from 18 games, Champions City passed Tottenham Hotspur into fourth place, five points behind leaders Liverpool despite having played one fewer game.

Due to their 10-point deduction following their second consecutive loss following four straight victories, Everton is now one place and one point above the relegation zone.

Before Christmas, City’s pursuit of an unprecedented fourth consecutive Premier League title was derailed by an injury to Norwegian goal machine Erling Haaland, a draw against Tottenham Hotspur, and a defeat to Aston Villa.
It appeared that more difficulty was ahead when Harrison startled them by turning in a low ball across the area from Dwight McNeil in a rare Everton attempt. Ederson, the City keeper, produced a fantastic one-handed stop to deny Harrison a second, but City regained composure to take the lead in the second half.

With a brilliant display, Foden equalized with a low-scoring left-foot shot that slipped past Pickford’s dive.

When Onana attempted to stop an effort by Nathan Ake and the ball struck his arm at close range, City took the lead. Referee John Brooks awarded the penalty following furious appeals from the City players, which were later verified by VAR.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin wasted a fantastic opportunity to equalize as he missed a close-range attempt.

Pickford’s attempt to clear the ball was delayed, allowing Silva to divert it and curl the ball into the upper corner of the empty goal, securing the victory for City.

Latest articles

Related articles